Friday, January 13, 2012

DBT Skills Daily

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy skills are helpful in creating a life worth living.  Originally conceived for women struggling with borderline personality disorder, over twenty years of research has shown that they can have positive effects in the lives of most anyone, not just those diagnosed with a mental illness.  As a DBT skills trainer working in the Hudson Valley, NY, one of the agreements I made in taking the intensive training from Marsha Linehans' Behavioral Tech, LLC. was that I would practice these skills in my own daily life.  I have found this regular daily intention to be remarkably grounding.  In the morning I reflect on my goals for the day and choose a skill that I think might assist me.  I bring it to mind and practice it throughout the day.  For example, if I know I'll be dealing with a difficult family member I might choose one of the relationship effectiveness skills.  If it's going to be a regular workday, I usually pick one of the mindfulness skills.  There are four main sets of skills, and within these modules there are lots of skills to choose from.  In addition to intentionally picking a skill every morning, I almost always find myself spontaneously turning to particular skills I need to navigate unexpected situations that arise.  Give this process a try.  Make friends with the skills.  You can rely on them to help you to create the life you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment